- First or second seat, a weak two promises 2 of the top 3 honors.
- Moscow Escape. After 1NT - (X), a redouble is a relay to 2C. It is used to runout to one of the minors. Apparently this is just for a penalty double.
- Ogust over weak-jump shifts
The sandwich no trump (e.g., 1x - P - 1x - 1NT) is strong by an unpassed hand and unusual for a passed hand.
- With opps passing, 1C - 1D - 1H - 1S is natural and forcing.
- A direct take-out double promises 3 cards in the unbid suits (or 17-up HCP).
- In response to either a takeout double or an overcall, 1NT shows 8-11 HCP (even if opp bids in front of this).
- 1C - (1S) - 2H shows only 10 HCP. Same for 1S - (2H) - 3D -- Chris would make this bid with a good 9. I don't know if this bid is forcing to game.
- After any natural no trump bid, 4 NT is quantitative and 4C is Gerber. Also applies over a Stayman response.
Regarding the 2NT rebid by opener (after opening 1 of a minor)
- It does not deny a 4-card suit in a skipped major.
- 2NT is passable
- New minor force is on
- The rebid of 1 of a major by opener is passable
Opening 1 of a Major
- 2/1 is forcing to game.
- With opps passing, 1M - 1NT - 2NT shows 16-17 HCP.
- The 2NT rebid by opener, following a 2/1, does not show any extra values. Rebidding one's major suit shows a 6-card suit.
- Jacoby 2NT. Trumps: at least 3 to an honor. Not by a passed hand. Over 2NT, the bid of three of the agreed major shows 17+. With 15 to 17-, bid 3NT. Showing a singleton is mandatory and does not show any extra values. Bidding controls shows first or second round control.
- Bergen raises are still on when the opp makes a take-out double.
- When the opps make a pre-emptive overcall, the jump to game is weak. (E.g., 1S - (3H) - 4S with Kxxx, xxxx, x, Qxxx. Hence a cue bid must be strong but not necessarily show trump? I don't know. Maybe all bids are nonforcing at that point except a cue bid which is forcing and implies trump (or a place to run).
I [Chris] like to use it only when my suit(s) are of poor enough quality that I would not overcall, particulary if I have a poor major suit. If I have a good major I will overcall even if I have 5 of a minor. I can always bid the minor later (maybe). This will always suggest to my partner to lead my suit if I have bid it, but not if I have showed it with michaels (in the case where they get the contract).
I don't like to use Michaels for the strong 2 suiter. But I can always adjust. Do you have any preferences?
- The negative double of 1D shows both majors (conventional)
- Response doubles are on only after partner has doubled and RHO has raised LHO. (The strictest criterion)
- Support doubles are not on when the responder has shown a 5-card suit. Doubles in that situation are for penalty.
- Support doubles are on over partner's bid of 1D (e.g., 1C - P - 1D - 1H - X).
- In the support double situation, bidding a suit denies 3-card support, except if partner has bid 1D.
Balancing over an opening bid
Bidding a suit shows 8+ HCP. The double shows 10- and up. 1NT is 10 to 14, the jump shift is strong, and a cue bid is Michaels.
- Suppose opening leader plays the ace, presumably from AK, against a suit contract. Partner signals suit preference when there is a singleton in dummy, otherwise shows count.
- On opening lead against a no trump contract, lead of the ace asks for attitude and lead of the king asks for count.
- We have an agreed defense to Flannery. Part of it is that the double of 2D is weak with diamonds and bidding 3D is strong with diamonds. I don't remember the rest.
- Flannery defense: 2 hearts is takeout for the other 3 suits, 2 spades is to play, 2NT is for the minors, and generally double is penalty.
- On this auction, 1D - (P) - 1H - (2C) - 2S - (P) - 2NT, Chris bid 2NT with 10 HCP.
- Over a strong 1C, no trump bids show two suiters.
- xxx,Qxxxx,Ax,xxx is not enough to support partner's 2C overcall, even nonvulnerable and even when it is reasonable that you might be on lead (e.g. 1D 2C 2S ?).
- Fourth suit forcing applies only to responders first rebid. On the auction 1D - 1H - 2D - 2S - 3C, 3C is natural and 2S is not forcing to game.
- Show number of kings (except king of trump) in response to 5NT.
- An overcall over 1NT should have at least 9 HCP and hopefully 10, though the quality of the suits is more important than HCP total. For example, Kxxxx,x,Kx,xxxxx is not an acceptable 2C bid.
View agreements with others or see polls: Click here